Golden Retriever poisoned by Thanksgiving buns

Uncooked yeast dough can be deadly for dogs and cats

MINNEAPOLIS, November 9, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Pippa, a playful puppy from Knoxville, Tenn., has a habit of scavenging items from counters and her family’s garbage. Last Thanksgiving, that hunger and curiosity nearly ruined the family’s celebration when the then two-year-old Golden Retriever had a severe reaction after consuming bread dough that was rising in the kitchen.

“I had left a dozen unbaked buns on the kitchen counter for them to rise, covering them with a towel,” said Rebecca Collins, Pippa’s pet parent. “When I went to put them in the oven I found that half of them were gone. I knew I hadn’t eaten them, but it took me a while to figure out what had happened. past. I didn’t think Pippa would be interested in bread dough.”

“I noticed that Pippa looked sleepy,” Collins continued, “which is very unusual for her. Normally she runs around when company is over. Once I figured out she must have eat the buns, I called Pet Poison Helpline. We discussed what and how much Pippa had eaten, and they asked me to take her to the veterinary hospital.”

“Unbaked bread dough that contains yeast can be dangerous when ingested by dogs and cats,” Dr. Renee Schmid, senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline. “When ingested, unbaked bread dough expands in the warm, moist environment of the stomach and releases carbon dioxide, which can lead to a bloated or distended stomach. Carbon dioxide is what causes bread to rise. Although less common, it can progress to stomach torsion, also known as gastric dilatation volvulus (GDV) or bloat.”

“Potentially even more concerning, when yeast uses up sugars in unbaked dough (a process called fermentation), it produces ethanol,” Dr. Schmid added. “Ethanol from fermenting yeast is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and results in alcohol poisoning. Ingesting alcohol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Animals severely intoxicated can potentially experience seizures and respiratory failure.”

When Pippa arrived at the Animal Emergency and Specialty Center of Knoxville, the medical team at the hospital were already in communication with the toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline. As it had been over five hours since Pippa had eaten the rolls, they recommended not to induce vomiting as this could cause more damage. His heart rate was elevated, his abdomen was distended with deep throbbing, and imaging showed his stomach was distended and 90% of the lumen was filled with potential pulp material. She was placed on an IV and given ice and cold water to help counter the rising process. Rather than induce vomiting, the medical team decided to wait for her to pass the paste naturally. If Pippa hadn’t been able to overcome the blockage on her own, she might have had to have surgery. She was closely monitored overnight with aggressive supportive care and released the following day.

“Luckily there was no surgery,” added Collins. “It was a very expensive Thanksgiving day at the dog emergency room, but she is now in full health.”

Creation of a pet poison helpline Toxin Tails to educate the veterinary community and pet lovers about the many types of poisoning dangers that pets face, both inside and outside the home. All animals highlighted in Toxin Tails were successfully treated for poisoning and fully recovered.

About the Pet Poison Helpline

Pet Poison Helpline, your trusted source for toxicology and pet health advice in potential emergencies, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for pet owners and veterinary professionals who have need help treating a potentially poisoned animal. We are an independent, nationally recognized animal poison control center, triple accredited by the Boards of Veterinary Medicine, Medicine and Pharmacy, offering unparalleled professional leadership and expertise. Our board-certified veterinarians and toxicologists provide treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for pet poison care, Pet Poison Helpline charges from $75 per incident includes follow-up visits for the duration of the case. Situated at MinneapolisPet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.

Contact: dr. Renee Schmid
Pet Poison Helpline
(952) 806-3803
[email protected]

SOURCE Pet Poison Helpline